“People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have them.” A reality of becoming a parent is that sleep transforms from something you need everyday to something you want more of in your life. There is no-one stop solution and your journey will depend so much on your little one’s cycles, but we hope these simple sleep hacks might help you along the way!
Sleep Hacks #1: Figure out your baby’s pattern.
- Every baby is different and there is no one-size-fits-all solution that puts your baby to rest. To make matters worse, your baby’s napping patterns will change constantly as she/he develops over time (Yes, that means you are dealing with a moving target!).
- Many mothers live by this guideline chart shared by Australian site “She Knows” to figure out how long and how often you should expect your baby to be napping right here.
Sleep Hacks #2: Learn how to swaddle your baby.
- In case you haven’t figured it out yet, here is a great youtube video from The Kids Post on how to swaddle your baby by clicking here.
- Don’t have swaddle materials? Check out “Mom Tricks” top recommended swaddle blankets here.
Sleep Hacks #3: Gear up!
- Use technology to your advantage. White noise machines, baby monitors, night lights, co-sleeper side-cars, care stations, bassinets, cribs, mattresses and swaddles. Lucie’s List reviews an extensive list of products here:
Sleep Hacks #4: Teach your baby how to self-soothe.
- Nina, a working mom and author of the blog Sleeping Should Be Easy, has summarized her key tips on how to teach your baby how to self soothe, which we can find here.
- Not enough? Nina also published a 45 page baby soothing guide called: “How to Get Your Baby to Sleep without Being Held“
Sleep Hacks #5: Hire a sleep consultant!